Friday, October 2, 2009

Guardian Angels

I am hesitant to write about this story because I don’t want my mom to freak out, but I suppose that I will write about it anyways.

 

I decided to go to a festival the other day that was about 100km away from Cape Town.  I made arrangements with the same guy that I am trying to buy a car from to fetch me (South African lingo) at 2:00pm.  At 2:30, he was not there, so I texted him to ask where he was.  No response.  I then called him at 3:00.  No answer.  I decided to take the train instead, which takes 1.5 hours to a place called Paarl, which is allegedly 15 km away from my final destination, at which time I would take a taxi the remainder of the way.  Sounds pretty good right?  Well, here’s what happened…

 

First of all, the train is sketchy and it is flat out dangerous after dark.  I left at 5:00pm, which would allow me to get to my final destination by 7:00, which is when it gets dark.  So, I hopped on the train with my enormous backpack (I have my tent, all my clothes…) and I was the only white person.  I am basically announcing to everyone that I am a tourist, I’m alone, and I may not know where I’m going.  I decided to talk with the people next to me about the world cup that will be held in South Africa because I really wanted to know what they think about it and I thought they could help me if anything went wrong.  Maybe if other people saw that I was talking with the locals, they wouldn’t hassle me.

 

About an hour into the ride, and after talking with probably 8 different people about their opinions about the World Cup, I started talking with people about my plans to take a taxi from Paarl to Worcester (my final destination).  They explained that taxis don’t operate after 6pm outside of Cape Town.  At this realization, the people with whom I had been talking became very worried and they began talking with each other quickly in their native tongues.  I wasn’t quite sure what all of the fuss was about.  I could just figure it out when I get there.  WRONG.  The woman across from me explained, “Whatever you do, don’t leave the station when you arrive in Paarl until you have made your plans.  There are security guards there.   It is a very dangerous place.”  Another person on the train suggested that I walk immediately to the police station to wait there.  At this point, most of the people on the train were talking frantically on their cell phones, checking numbers and advising me on different options.  I decided that I would either stay overnight in Paarl in a hotel that was nearby the station or use transport from a friend of a guy on the train, who was happily charging an amazing amount of money.  During all the commotion, I called my contact at the event in Worcester to ask if she might be willing to pick me up.  We have been emailing for a long time and she has been quite helpful in helping me plan my trip.  When I told her where I was, she sounded surprised and explained that it was a long ways away from Worcester.  I told her that it was only 15 km away according to google maps.  She didn’t really respond to this assertion, but said that she would look into acquiring a car to pick me up.

 

At this point people on the train have spread the news and there are approximately 30 people who are now offering their opinion about what I need to do.  Everyone in the car knows that I am from the U.S, have an enormous bag worth a lot of money, and might be stranded.  Then I hear a really loud noise when the train tries to start again from one of the stations. The train nudges forward and then abruptly stops.  At this point people start talking about whether or not the train is broken, which apparently happens quite often because people steal various cables underneath the train while it stops at the stations.  10 mintues go by, no movement.  20 minutes go by, no movement.  30 minutes go by, nothing.  Then a load of people get out of the train and go into the station.  I ask the people nearby what is going on and they explain that the train is broken and that it can not be fixed.  They will be calling buses to pick us all up from the station.  I am now 20 minutes from Paarl in a place that has no hotels, no taxis, and no police stations anywhere near that I could go to.  Instead, I am in a train station with 200 passengers who are incredibly poor, overworked, hungry, and pissed.  I am still the only white person.  I am carrying valuable things: cell phone, atm card, money, tent, clothes, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, glasses…  People are robbed for the shoes on their feet in South Africa.

 

At this point, before getting off the train, there are three colored women (a term that South Africans use to describe people who are not only solely or white, but of mixed race) that have emerged as the main people who are concerned with my well-being.  One of them said, “Stay close to us, we’ll protect you.  If anyone starts bothering you I’ll just tell them that you are my boyfriend.”  I received a call from Ashleigh, the contact in Worcester, and she agreed to come pick me up.  Praise Jesus! However, the women that I was with decided that it would be best for her to pick me up in Paarl 2 stations away because it is dangerous and very complicated to drive to the station we were at without knowing the way.  My new friends called their friends and arranged a ride to come pick all of us up from the station we were at and take us to Paarl to drop me off.

 

At this point, people were informed that buses were being deployed to the station to take everyone to the remaining stations.  200 people are packed inside the station, nudging to get to the front.  The women told me explicitly that I was with to stay extremely close and not flash anything valuable.  45 minutes went by, still no ride and no buses.  People in the buses started getting agitated and a few folks started yelling.  Then I heard a crash and more yelling.  People smashed the door to the station and others were breaking random tables and chairs.  I was already fearful and this was not helping.  To my relief, a bus pulled up.  At the site of it, a stampede ensued, as people flooded out the door to the bus.  There was probably only room for about 70 people on the bus out of the 200.  Not good.  People who were on the bus started pulling their friends from the outside up and into the bus through the windows.  People then started smashing the windows on the bus to make it easier for their friends to get in.  At this point the bus was entirely full and the bus driver was telling people that no more people could fit.  This did not go over very well.  Two guys proceeded to crush the door by slamming into it multiple times and then managed to break it off its hinges.  With the door broken, the bus could not go anywhere.  Now people were even more enraged.  While people continued damaging the bus, I was busy trying to make myself disappear.  It didn’t work.  A few minutes later, another bus arrived.  Can you guess what happened?  The exact same thing.  Only this time, the bus driver had a tazer and was shocking people who got unruly, which was everyone.  Again people smashed the windows, broke the door and shattered the windshield.  No one was going anywhere.  All I could do was watch, pretend like I wasn’t urinating on my inner thigh, and make incomprehensible conversation with the people I was with.  One of the women asked me, “How are you feeling?  You seem really calm.”  I told her I was freaking out on the inside, but I didn’t want anyone to see that part.  She said that was a good idea.


With no more buses to destroy, a new target was needed.  The banter among the people around me increased and I was wondering what they were talking about.  I asked my new friends and they said that they were talking about me.  OH SHIT.  My internal organs simultaneously fell to the floor of my body.  At that very moment, one of the women I was with exclaimed that she saw our ride pull into the station.  We all half walked and half jogged to the car, threw ourselves in, and peeled out of there.  I was safe.

 

These three women saved me.  I am so grateful to them.  We talked about what I should refer to them as when I write about them and we agreed that they should be called the three guardian angels.  And so they are.

6 comments:

  1. God bless the angels!

    About 18 years ago, I traveled a bit in South Africa. I remember walking down a street with my Taiwanese friend (her ethnicity caused commotion enough) and a woman stopped us and told us to turn around. She told us it wasn't safe and was must return to the main street. I also remember traveling in SA and making the same mistake with distance. My friend and I thought we were much closer to our destination than we actualy were. Strangely, I traveled in many other parts of the world and never had this same problem with determining destination length ... and this was long before google maps.

    Travel is the boot camp for intuition training and living in the moment. Glad to hear you safely made it through that experience. Enjoy the rest of the ride.

    Julie
    (I'm a sfc person.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, This is your MOTHER.
    For some reason, I was laughing while I read this. Also while I read this, I've decided to take up drinking. Bailey's. I will now buy some and have it on hand to drink while, or perhaps before I read your posts. I like Bailey's and believe it is in its own food group, somewhere at the bottom of the food pyramid indicating you can have lots of it... like whole grains... because it is good for you.

    OK, enough about me. So, I too am very grateful for your guardian angels. A good lesson early in the trip to prepare you for things to come. I am prompted to send you a James Bond travel kit. It contains pocket tazer, capsule size tear gas cannisters, the GPS homing device they show in the movies, and a cool watch that does just the right stuff when you press just the right buttons and a collection of passports in all the season's latest colors. Maybe the stars are not in alignment for travel right now. Why just a few hours ago I found myself lost on the Mountain to Sea trail. I pulled out my new compass which advertises "better than luck". It didn't work very well, some details about a red arrow versus a black arrow. So I too found luck (or a guardian angel passing by on a bicycle) to be just the ticket!
    Love, Your Mom
    (where did I put those smelling salts????)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Doug that was the best one yet, and after I read your moms post I see where you get your talent for writing. But please keep yourself safe and keep writing so we know that you are safe.
    jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Doug for the wonderful updates, although pretty scary and I'm just reading them not living them. I really do hope you keep this up because I love reading your mothers comments also, what a very talented family you have for writing. Stay safe Doug!

    Tiffani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank GOD you are so personable and you use it to your advantage. I look forward to the book at the end of this amazing experience! I get this excited feeling when I start reading...like, WOW, what could possibly happen next. Keep your posts up. Love to hear what adventures are coming your way! Again, Please stay safe Doug. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep posting! Don't wait for the big events to write a post. Write about all the little stuff in between.

    ReplyDelete