Monday, September 21, 2009

Paradox

So, this is my first official blog.  Ever.  Actually, I don’t think I have written something down for purposes other than recording information or attemping to look smart for an academic or vocational pursuit since High School.  To be honest, I wasn’t really sure how often I would want to spend any time on my computer writing while I am in South Africa.  Today however, I find myself awoken at 5:55am by a tune entiteled “entertainer,” courtesy of my new phone that decided to tout its digital song for reasons that transcend my logical mind.  “Why didn’t you go off yesterday when I needed you, you Blackberry imposter I acquired from Craigslist?  Why have you decided to cockadoodle in a room of 15 backpackers without my consent?  Aren’t you considered to be a SMART phone?  If so, there is a grave misunderstanding about who you really are.  You and my jet-lagged self are going to throw down, Cape Town style.”

 

So, I think I am going to be posting different stories and thoughts about my trip on this blog.  Is this already implied?  Damn, give me a break, I am new at this. For me, discussing my general experiences from Time’s high horse is not that interesting to write about, so I’m basically not going to do that unless I don’t have much time and I need to remind you, the reader (family, friend, blog enthusiast…) that I am alive.  Oh, and there might be a way for you all to add comments about my postings if you are inclined.  For now. the responsibility of learning how to do this lies with you.  My Internet is operating at approximately the speed of sloth and I am currently devoting all of its power to opening pictures of a house I might rent in Cape Town.

 

Do you think I should begin every paragraph with the word “so?”  Hmmmm…

 

So, I mentioned I was jet-lagged.  This may have something to do with the fact that I began my journey in Portland, flew to SFO, waited for 2.5 hours, flew for 16 hours over the north pole to Dubai, waited for 14 hours, and then flew to Cape Town, another 9 hours.  I slept for about 6 hours total during this time, and this is not the kind of sleep you write home about (or maybe it is because I just did.  HA.  I love you clever witticism).

 

So, flew on an airline called the Emirates and it was friggin’ sweet.  “Would you like an exit row?” Yes please.  “A warm towel sir?”  Yes please.  “Lamb kofta or other Mediterranean goodness?”  Yes please.  “Another mango juice?” Yes please.  I’ll just take one everything.  Perhaps the greatest thing that happened however is that I was talking with the flight attendants and in-flight neighbors about Dubai and was wondering what I should do there.  At the conclusion of the flight, the cabin hostess said, “I could show you around if you would like.”  Yes please.  After departing I went all over Dubai via taxi and train with her who was originally from Lebanon.  She talked about a lot of different things, but I want to focus on one part in particular.  I know this trip was going to provoke many questions regarding race and nationality, but I didn’t know that it would begin so soon.  To paraphrase the flight attendant, “The Indians and Pakistanis are the worst on flights.  Did you see that bathroom?  They are so dirty.  How can people live like that?”  Upon challenging these assertions, I was met with examples to provide support for these stereotypes, “Flights that go into Dubai that have these people on them are much dirtier than other flights.  I know, I clean the toilets.”

 

Hmmm…  That got me thinking about the ABC’s of racism.  I remember this pneumonic tool from college.  “A” for affect, or the feelings held about a particular race, gender, age...otherwise known as prejudice.  “B” for behavior, or the actions that one takes that are harmful to someone else based upon “A” and “C”.  “C” for cognition, or the beliefs / thinking patterns that are held about a particular race, gender…  I think it’s funny that I learned about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in the same fashion.  I suppose the intent is that through analyzing and skillfully manipulating one’s feelings, thoughts, and actions one can become less “racist” and more psychologically balanced.

 

So, here’s a Lebanese woman, who gives me a justification based on personal experience for her prejudice against Indians and Pakistanes.  Is she making these conclusions based on faulty evidence?  Is what she says true?  Partially true?  If it is true or partially true, does that mean that there is some fact or tendency present in what she is saying? Does that mean that prejudice may be the child of truth?  Is she a truth teller?  But, prejudice is bad right?  She’s just an ignorant racist right?  Hmmm… this is not as easy as ABC, 123.

 

Who am I to be talking about this?  I am a white man from the United States.  You can’t get much higher on the social rank ladder than this folks.  This analogy implies that I have climbed to the top and know something about the previous rungs and my relationship to them.  WRONG!!!  Try, again.  I’m pretty sure it is the absolute opposite actually.  What is rule #1 when you are in a precariously high position?  Don’t look down.  You could get freaked out about what you see, lose your balance, and fall off the ladder to your certain doom.  It’s the same for the social rank ladder.  If I really look at the people with less rank than me, I could panic and die.  Talking about these issues in an analogical fashion is much easier for me.  The reality is that I am scared to admit how true this is for me.

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the blogging about blogging, and the Flight/Africa stuff, wasn't bad either. Alive and well, and already slept with 15 people on your first night... should have guessed as much.
    Maybe next time you can write about grammer, or something equally exciting and unrelated to your trip. Also, you didn't start three paragraphs with "So" and it really threw me off. Please try to be more consistent, for those of us, with poor attention spans, who need signifiers, prior to the changing of topics.
    Stay Safe, Keep us posted.
    Take Care,
    JK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately I've been reading a blog written by a SA sangoma traveling in the US.
    http://seachangeonalienground.blogspot.com/
    Your blog seems to be the flipside of this. I'm excited to add it to my voyeuristic reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog Doug!! It will be great reading material as I sit here in the place they call PSB and I call a library, people around me are shushing me as I LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. doug, i'm glad you're alive and writing. no skiing in Dubai, huh? i half-expected to hear a story about a tall french woman with an aptitude for Afrikaans and a love of slalom. your story is much better than mine. i'm excited to read how life unfolds (as GF always says in my head when i say the "unfold" word...Unravels) for you there. pictures are good too. blessings, you. i'm going to keep up with your journey here. xo marylong

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing your voice in my head as I read your words :-)

    You are the best man for this journey Douglass Graham!

    I love you big brother :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Blog Doug. Great to hear you are having an interesting experience and journey in every step so far. :) Look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading what you have written so far and am looking forward to more. Hope you keep writing.
    jackie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there,
    So glad to find this blog. Now I can keep tabs on you and it will be good to know that you are alive and well. If you die - please don't write about it - that would just be too weird. Keep writing - keep living!

    ReplyDelete